Redesign of dlang.org

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 3 10:38:21 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 3 July 2014 at 13:16:34 UTC, Chris wrote:
> [I haven't had time to follow the entire thread, but] I like
> the design, it's a good starting point. Especially the
> integration of the logo. Nice and clean. (The current logo is
> just too bulky and clumsy, imo*)
>
> However, my experience tells me that we should wait with
> redesigning it until the technical issues/problems have been
> solved, e.g. the migration to vibe.d, which I'm in favor of
> (I've had good experiences with vibe.d so far), and the doc
> generation issue etc etc. Once that is out of the way, we can
> think about new designs.

I've been focusing on getting a working site with vibe.d.
Integrating the ddox document generator is a high priority for me
right now, especially since I've finished a lot of work for
formatting the changelog pages.

> Yours is very nice and "modern". However, we also have to take
> mobile devices (tablets, smartphones) into account and see how
> we can adapt to these (different layouts or one for all?).

I used the Bootstrap framework, which I have also used in my day
job. Bootstrap makes producing a responsive design pretty easy.
I've been periodically testing pages on smaller screens.
Firefox's 'reponsive design mode' helps a lot with this.

> Another issue is that we don't have to jump on any bandwagon
> (every time the "fashion" changes), we can roll our own design,
> one that fits the community's and the language's needs,
> regardless of what is trendy or "modern" at any given time
> (don't imitate, innovate!).

There are many different designs you could produce. Many design
choices are subjective, though not all of them. I think my goals
for the work I've been doing are as follows.

* Improve site navigation.
* Improve display across different devices.
* Improve the quality of text to make it easier to read.
* Make it easier for newcomers to edit, to encourage contribution.
* Run it all with D to tick a "official D site made in D"
checkbox.

There are others, but those are the important ones.