std.math performance (SSE vs. real)

Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 5 02:39:09 PDT 2014

On Friday, 4 July 2014 at 21:49:33 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Friday, 4 July 2014 at 21:08:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Sadly, this also implies that there are no computer languages
>> you believe in. You set an impossible standard. How can you
>> possibly say you prefer C++, a classic design by committee
>> language?
>
> I don't prefer it. I think it sucks, but it is the only viable
> choice if you want to create a scalable game or virtual world
> server.

Again, outside, in the real business world, reality is a little
different: take this monster, look, no C++!

http://www.robg3d.com/2014/01/why-ccp-is-still-using-python-2/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/15/eve-online/

What I loved about D, from the real beginning, was this:
pragmatism, pragmatism!

And after the love, what moved us as a company to adopt it was
Walter: He is a deeply pragmatic guy!
Pragmatism is an invaluable asset in business (btw, THAT should
be stressed in the logo/identity/redesign looooooong thread)

---
Paolo