Logic const with lazy const

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 6 07:20:44 PDT 2014

I guess other persons have already suggested something like this.
Here there is a "lazy immutable" instance member x, that can be
only in two states: not initialized, and initialized with an
immutable value.

The type system ensures x is never read before it's written, and
that it's written no more than once (and to do this I presume it
needs flow analysis).

The point of this idea is to make the bar() method const despite
the x instance attribute is computed only if it's needed. This is
useful is spam() requires significant computations, but x is not
always needed. So it allows bar() to be "logically const" in a
verified correct way.

int spam() pure nothrow @safe @nogc {
     // Lot of computations here.
     return 0;