Better AAs

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 6 21:19:29 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 04:02:24PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 7/6/2014 3:53 PM, bearophile wrote:
> >Rust has not done the significant D design mistake of putting the
> >associative arrays inside the language/runtime, but D AAs are getting
> >better.
>
> It wasn't a mistake early on, as D did not have sufficient abstraction
> power to do them.

Also, as I understand it, the current design worked well for early
versions of D, but it didn't keep pace with new developments in D2 that
introduced holes in the implementation.

In any case, I'm hopeful for D AA's, as recently there's been a slow but
steady stream of AA-related fixes in druntime and dmd, so soon, we may
be able to have a sane, up-to-date AA implementation. I think we're also
inching closer to abstracting away the compiler hacks that cause much of
the present mess, so a library-based AA seems to be within reach in the
hopefully not-too-distant future.

"You know, maybe we don't *need* enemies." "Yeah, best friends are about all I can take." -- Calvin & Hobbes