Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Alix Pexton via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 7 05:09:59 PDT 2014

On 07/07/2014 12:26 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 07/07/14 12:20, Alix Pexton wrote:
>
>> Which one, Package or Sourcefile or both?
>
> Both, actually.

Shame, I kinda liked the cardboard box, I surprised myself with how
quickly it came together.

>> These are what I'm currently using myself, but I'm not 100% happy with
>> how they appear when small. I'm trying to work with in the constraints
>> that that seem to have emerged over what elements of the logo must be
>> retained in order to preserve the D Brand.
>
> Yeah, that's the problem. Actually, looking at the document icons on OS
> X, for a file containing C code it's just a document with some code and
> a large "C" on the document. Nothing that has anything to do with a
> logo. I just thought that I would be nice if we had a logo that could
> work as a document icon as well. But perhaps it's just better to follow
> the system or text editor conventions.

I was surprised when I found my mother's Ubuntu net book had an icon for
D files that matched the default theme, while my vertualised Debian
install doesn't even have them for C.

There doesn't seem to be a standard file icon on Windows any more
either, C files on my machine get their icon from visual studio (simple
page with a big letter C) the page element is common to all the
filetypes registered by VS, but different to ones registered by IE and
bundled ones like text files. It is something that everyone seems to
have to reinvent!

There is a generic page icon, but that doesn't seem to have been updated
to the windows 7 theme.

I'll try and find generic page icons for for as many systems as I can
and see if I can make one overlay that works well with them all.

I was wondering if it was worth making separate icons for .di .dd and
.ddoc files too, and I wanted to have a special icon for package.d but
there doesn't seem to be a way to specify an icon based on anything
other than the last element of the extension.

A...