Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 7 07:40:14 PDT 2014

On 07/07/14 14:09, Alix Pexton wrote:

> Shame, I kinda liked the cardboard box, I surprised myself with how
> quickly it came together.

What I don't like is that it looks like a standard icon with the D logo
just added on top.

Have a look at this icon from Adium [1]. This icon is used for plugins
for Adium. It uses the standard OS X icon for plugins with the Adium
logo on.

> I was surprised when I found my mother's Ubuntu net book had an icon for
> D files that matched the default theme, while my vertualised Debian
> install doesn't even have them for C.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a standard file icon on Windows any more
> either, C files on my machine get their icon from visual studio (simple
> page with a big letter C) the page element is common to all the
> filetypes registered by VS, but different to ones registered by IE and
> bundled ones like text files. It is something that everyone seems to
> have to reinvent!

The C icon probably comes from Xcode. BTW, here's how it looks like [2].
The corresponding icon from TextMate looks like this [3]. Just the
TextMate logo with a name of the language at the bottom.

> There is a generic page icon, but that doesn't seem to have been updated
> to the windows 7 theme.
>
> I'll try and find generic page icons for for as many systems as I can
> and see if I can make one overlay that works well with them all.
>
> I was wondering if it was worth making separate icons for .di .dd and
> .ddoc files too, and I wanted to have a special icon for package.d but
> there doesn't seem to be a way to specify an icon based on anything
> other than the last element of the extension.

That depends on how they look like. For icons like this [2], it's pretty
easy to create one for each extension.

[1]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7UtafxGD9vEQy0wQVhaMEFWa1U/edit?usp=sharing

[2]