Redesign of dlang.org

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 8 01:35:10 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 3 July 2014 at 17:38:22 UTC, w0rp wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 July 2014 at 13:16:34 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> [I haven't had time to follow the entire thread, but] I like
>> the design, it's a good starting point. Especially the
>> integration of the logo. Nice and clean. (The current logo is
>> just too bulky and clumsy, imo*)
>>
>> However, my experience tells me that we should wait with
>> redesigning it until the technical issues/problems have been
>> solved, e.g. the migration to vibe.d, which I'm in favor of
>> (I've had good experiences with vibe.d so far), and the doc
>> generation issue etc etc. Once that is out of the way, we can
>> think about new designs.
>
> I've been focusing on getting a working site with vibe.d.
> Integrating the ddox document generator is a high priority for
> me right now, especially since I've finished a lot of work for
> formatting the changelog pages.
>
>> Yours is very nice and "modern". However, we also have to take
>> mobile devices (tablets, smartphones) into account and see how
>> we can adapt to these (different layouts or one for all?).
>
> I used the Bootstrap framework, which I have also used in my
> day job. Bootstrap makes producing a responsive design pretty
> easy. I've been periodically testing pages on smaller screens.
> Firefox's 'reponsive design mode' helps a lot with this.
>
>> Another issue is that we don't have to jump on any bandwagon
>> (every time the "fashion" changes), we can roll our own
>> design, one that fits the community's and the language's
>> needs, regardless of what is trendy or "modern" at any given
>> time (don't imitate, innovate!).
>
> There are many different designs you could produce. Many design
> choices are subjective, though not all of them. I think my
> goals for the work I've been doing are as follows.
>
> * Improve site navigation.
> * Improve display across different devices.
> * Improve the quality of text to make it easier to read.
> * Make it easier for newcomers to edit, to encourage
> contribution.
> * Run it all with D to tick a "official D site made in D"
> checkbox.
>
> There are others, but those are the important ones.

Very good. That would improve the page a lot.

The code block at the top of the page, I think we don't really
need that for mobile devices with small screens. Takes up too
much space. Maybe we could just hide it and have a button or so
that says "show code".

I'd also recommend a page with simple recipes "how to open a
file" etc. In this way newbies wouldn't have to go through the
library reference for simple tasks.

I'd love to use something like "Powered by D" for my own programs
written in D.