Opportunities for D

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 8 15:56:55 PDT 2014

Remo:

> unique_ptr<T> is helpful in 90% of the time.
> shared_ptr<T> is necessary in may be another 9%.
> Memory pool is helpful in another cases.
> And only in 0.1% case GC is really needed. :)

Are you forgetting the RefCount?

But I use D because it has a GC and it doesn't look like C++, I
am not writing device drivers or an operating system, I am OK
with a language less efficient than C++ if it gives easier to
write code, more compact code, less noisy code, much less
bug-prone code.

In C++11 you have over-engineered lambdas because there is no GC,
D GC rely on the GC and sometimes allocate on the heap. I don't
want the very bad syntax and semancits of C++ lambdas in D.
Closures and lambdas are quite common in the D code I write. How
do you concatenate built-in arrays without GC? And so on...

> So how about memory pool for D ?
> It there already one ?

Andrei is working a lot on them. They look very good.

Bye,
bearophile