critique of vibe.d

Puming via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 8 18:09:09 PDT 2014

Vibe.d is more like a base library for async I/O, networking and
concurrency, a full stack WEB framework should be built on top of
it which focus on application development and ease of use for
newcomers. Sonke has said that too. Vibe.d should focus on
performance, networking, and other lowerlevel stuff that D should
be really good at. Sonke is already too busy doing his gorgeous
work on vibe.d and dub. I think that is what the guy on reddit
was complaining, he thought vibe.d should contain everything from
a web framework, but didn't find them, thus getting the
impression that vibe.d was not complete. Actually vibe.d is just
an edge of a triangle in web frameworks. We are lacking the other
two pieces.

We need a MVC or whatever framework on top of it. Compared to
Java world, there is [Netty](http://netty.io) the networking
library and Web frameworks like playframework, vert.x built on
top of it.

Currently the only work that is active IFAIK is Rikki's
[CMSED](https://github.com/rikkimax/Cmsed), which needs more love.

In [playframework](http://playframework.org), incoming request
are send to a cluster of actions in a [Akka](http://akka.io)
cluster for computing & business logic. The trio (play, netty &
akka) has shown to be very good combination for a web stack.

We have actor models in std.concurrency but only with thread
granularity, vibe.d has got a fiber based concurrency model which
I think could go in to the standard library, or make its own
library. That front needs more manpower. Again, rikki has
initiated a port from akka --
[dakka](https://github.com/rikkimax/dakka). I think it is a right
way to go.