critique of vibe.d

luminousone via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 8 18:54:10 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 8 July 2014 at 20:39:23 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> There's been some discussion about vibe.d recently on reddit
> (e.g.
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2a20h5/wired_magazine_discovers_d/cir9443)
> and I was wondering to what extent that's meaningful:
>
> "has anyone ever tied a real webservice to vibe.d? I actually
> tried. its nowhere near complete in any sense. you simply
> cannot compare it with go's standard http lib, sorry, I tried."
>
> If there's sheer work needed for completing vibe.d, I think it
> would be great if the domain-savvy part of the community would
> rally around it. Serving dlang.org and dconf.org off of vibe.d
> would be awesome dogfooding.
>

> Andrei

There is lots of missing little bits here and their, password
hashing functions that use crypt_(C) formated hashes.

There are diet/jade template bugs still, specific major problem
being that use of single quotes inside of double quotes when i
need to pass strings to js functions inside of js events such as
onclick inside a html tag, seems to be broken.

There is not common database interface for sql
databases(forgivable actually), but many of the specific database
libraries are messy(ddb for example) and they are not any where
near api "stable".

Support for mongo is... cute?!, don't get me wrong it has a
place, for most apps it would be fine, it is however unusable for
the apps i am involved in.

Anything supported within vibe.d itself, is great, well thought
out, well written, clean and easy to work with. And vibe.d makes
wonderful use of D features in a productive way. vibe.d's
documentation could be better.

Having to go outside of vibe.d for anything is often gritty, and
that is what keeps me from using it. The oddities of being
required to use vibe.d's sockets means libraries have to be
ported to the extend of changing that(not hard, but maintaining a
changeset from the original authors code is cumbersome if they
are not updating the lib, or if you would like to link it from
another languages compiled code).

That said if the database libraries could be brought up to snuff,
one way or another everything else could be worked around for the
most part.