Opportunities for D

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 9 02:25:41 PDT 2014

Walter Bright:

> The list isn't about things that would be nice to add to D,
> it's about fairly critical issues with large impact we need to
> address. More on tuples and pattern matching are not critical
> issues.

In this thread I have asked for just tuples, not pattern matching
(I have just said that tuples design should not make it very hard
to add a basic but nice form of pattern matching later in the
switch statement).

Regarding NotNull (your point 8), I think what's more important
is to make it statically impossible for the programmer to
dereference a null for a nullable type. (To do this some
languages use pattern matching, that forces the programmer to
handle both cases (null and not null), and in the case of not
null, the programmer is handling something similar to a NotNull).

Bye,
bearophile