critique of vibe.d

Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 9 08:17:02 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 9 July 2014 at 01:09:10 UTC, Puming wrote:
> Vibe.d is more like a base library for async I/O, networking
> and concurrency, a full stack WEB framework should be built on
> top of it which focus on application development and ease of
> use for newcomers. Sonke has said that too. Vibe.d should focus
> on performance, networking, and other lowerlevel stuff that D
> should be really good at. Sonke is already too busy doing his
> gorgeous work on vibe.d and dub. I think that is what the guy
> on reddit was complaining, he thought vibe.d should contain
> everything from a web framework, but didn't find them, thus
> getting the impression that vibe.d was not complete. Actually
> vibe.d is just an edge of a triangle in web frameworks. We are
> lacking the other two pieces.

Huh.  I guess it depends what your goal is.  For the kind of work
I do, vibe.d is in the right ballpark.  The services I create
basically respond to AJAX calls (JSON-RPC is the best, though
REST is okay too) and do other back-end work.  I've never had a
need to do any HTML handling or anything like that.  I might take
issue with the specifics of how some of the APIs are designed,
but not with the feature set.