Opportunities for D

Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 9 13:58:11 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 9 July 2014 at 19:47:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/9/2014 3:20 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>>
>> I'd state it differently: "Marketing fuss about goroutines is
>> the killer feature
>> of Go" :) It does not have any fundamental advantage over
>> existing actor model
>> and I doubt it will matter _that_ much.
>
> Much of the froth about Go is dismissed by serious developers,
> but they nailed the goroutine thing. It's Go's killer feature.

I think it still mostly comes down to marketing :-)  That said,
we're pretty close in D once my Scheduler pull request is
accepted.  Between that and the Generator type in the same pull
request, we're not missing much but the weird switch syntax they
have.  There's still some work to do, but I think a lot of it
really comes down to showing people what's already possible in D
rather than writing more code.