DIP65: Fixing Exception Handling Syntax

Brian Schott via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 9 16:14:48 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 9 July 2014 at 23:01:13 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Interesting. Those are invalid D code, but obviously the
> compiler is accepting it.
>
> I suggest recognizing in the parser:
>
>    ( Identifier )
>
> as a special case, in addition to using
> Parser::isDeclaration(). Gradually we can turn that special
> case into a warning, then deprecation.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you want to deprecate the
(somewhat popular) nameless exception syntax so that we can keep
the "should be removed with prejudice" catch-everything syntax?

Other quotes about the syntax I propose removing:

"...surprised it even compiled..."
"Besides, how hard is it to just write: 'catch(Throwbale)'"
"Perhaps we could add a compiler warning for catch without an
explicit type."