Opportunities for D

logicchains via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 9 21:06:15 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 03:12:24 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> I don't know, but I assume it would have to be competitive with
> what Rust provides.

I think the Rust team found that implementing a sound
borrow-checker was basically impossible without requiring
lifetime annotations in some cases. So if D wanted to go down the
Rust route, it'd have to be willing to add new syntax for
lifetime annotations (although these can apparently be inferred
in most cases so aren't often required).