[OT] Re: Redesign of dlang.org

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 10 02:59:23 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 9 July 2014 at 21:20:28 UTC, Alix Pexton wrote:
> On 09/07/2014 4:43 PM, Chris wrote:
>> This sounds just like Imperial education. Very interesting how
>> it
>> equates Imperial practices with the "right" thing and the
>> (continental)
>> arch enemy with the "wrong" thing. By the way, there was a
>> reason why
>> combatant riders would ride on the right side on a tilting
>> yard: they
>> were right-handed. Just as it makes more sense to switch gears
>> with the
>> right hand and not with the (in most cases) weaker left hand.
>

> Sorry, the correct side/wrong side designations was all me, I
> have trouble with light and reft, and didn't want to get mixed
> up with the 2 meanings of right. Perhaps its an artefact of my
> imperial education ^^

I see. Your account of what you learned is interesting
nevertheless, because it implies that the Empire kept the ancient
system, whereas now a new "corrupt" system is used in the rest of
the world, a system that has its roots in the "insidious" tactics
of a Frenchman called Napoleon.

> Also some argue that it makes more sense in a modern car to
> change gear with the left hand and keep the stronger arm on the
> steering wheel. Early right-hand-drive cars either had all foot
> operated gears, or they were on the outside (actually outside
> the cockpit) rather than in the middle because they needed real
> effort, modern gears especially automatics don't need that
> effort any more.
>
> A...

I don't agree. A lot of cars still use manual gears, not
automatics. I also find that in dangerous situations it is better
that the stronger arm has more room for action in the cockpit and
is not impeded by the window / door. Also, pressing buttons on
the radio / audio player, air conditioning etc. is much easier
(=precise) with the stronger arm, especially while driving when
these actions cannot get your undivided attention. This is at
least my experience, but many people have agreed with me on this.