Opportunities for D

Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 10 08:51:50 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 15:35:03 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 14:54:51 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>> E.g.
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/1527 is
>> some
>> apparently work that's just sitting there abandoned.
>>
>> Hm, slightly OT: is it considered widely acceptable to take
>> over such pull requests by reopening rebased one with
>> identical content? I presume Boost licensing implies so but
>> not sure everyone else expects the same.
>
> I don't see why this would invalidate the licence:
>
> fork the branch that contains the request, rebase to fix any
> conflicts, make any extra commits needed, open a new pull
> request. It's really no different from merging the pull and
> then fixing it afterwards.

So long as the author's name remains in place in the license
blurb I think you're pretty much free to do whatever you want
with the code.  That's the beauty of the Boost license.  It's as
close to Public Domain as it seems possible to get given the
vagaries of international law.

I would *love* to have a good networking package in Phobos.  It's
been my #1 item for basically the entire 10 years I've been using
D.  It just happens to conflict a bit too much with my
professional work for me to comfortably make any contribution
without internal approval, and I don't see that happening unless
we start using D and want to contribute back to the language.

vibe.d exists now though, and maybe someone could tease it apart
to get some portion of it in Phobos and leave the rest as a
third-party extension?  That's being actively developed, and is
really quite nice, though perhaps not so general-purpose as
std.net was intended to be.

It seems that most of my active use of D these days is writing
scripts to talk to our servers for various tasks.  For the most
part I just use libcurl for that and it's pretty okay, but for
the things that don't talk HTTP... ugh.