Opportunities for D

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 10 11:49:07 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 06:32:06PM +0000, Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 18:25:56 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 06:01:09PM +0000, safety0ff via
> >>
> >>This is exactly the typical contributor experience.
> >
> >Which we must change if we're going to increase D adoption.
> >Unfortunately, I don't see any good solution to this, except just
> >hoping for more contributors to pick up different pieces of Phobos as
> >their "passion" and become the "lieutenant" for that part of it. But
> >that requires first of all that contributors are motivated to
> >contribute, yet the current situation isn't encouraging them to join
> >in. It's a vicious cycle, and I don't know how to break it.
>
> I think part of this will have to come from a policy change
> regarding pull requests.  I propose that any pull request must
> either be merged or rejected within one month of submission.  I'd
> rather see a request rejected with an explanation than for it to
> languish in revision hell for months or years while people slowly
> iterate on changes.  It's better in my minds to submit a request,
> have it rejected with comments, fix and resubmit multiple times
> than to have pull requests just sitting in the queue forever with
> no one knowing what their status is.

That's a good start; I like that.

Another thing that might help, is if we can somehow change the default
sort order on the github PR page. Currently it's defaulted to newest
first, but that's a horrible default order given our circumstances. A
much better order is "least recently updated", so that the oldest, most
ignored PRs will get attention first. Even if they are mostly ignored,
at least every time somebody goes to that page they'll see it in
passing, and perhaps decide one day to actually look into what it is. As
opposed to the current situation of "out of sight, out of mind".

Любишь кататься - люби и саночки возить.