Cool Stuff for D that we keep Secret

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 10 14:52:57 PDT 2014

On 7/10/2014 4:01 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 09/07/14 23:46, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>
>> I think there's lots of valuable information on the wiki btw, which is
>> often overlooked for some reason. For contributors, wiki.dlang.org is
>> much nicer as you don't need ddoc, git, push rights/somebody to merge
>> pull requests, etc.
>
> Is it only me that feels like ddoc doesn't scale for designing web sites.

Not just you, I've been kind of avoiding it. I like that it *exists* as
a built-in, and it's certainly better than those XML "comments" that C#
uses, but it still has poor readability (and writeability) *within* the
source, plus it's really just too "dumb": Purely zero-semantics
macro-like text substitution just isn't good enough. Realistically, you
just end up needing to post-process its results if you don't want to
feel like you've got your hands tied behind your back. In which case,
why even bother using it at all?

I've always wanted something in D that's more like Natural Docs:
http://www.naturaldocs.org/documenting.html

Macroed comments are just an overengineered mess compared to that.