Cool Stuff for D that we keep Secret

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 10 15:24:12 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:13:14PM +0000, via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 22:03:31 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> >Am I the only one who thinks "Responsive Web" sites, with their
> >characteristic "Replace all meaningful information with wasted space,
> >meaningless photos, and trite slogans in giant text", are an
> >absolutely horrible design that do more to drive people away and
> >trigger their "this looks like an ad, I'll subconsciously ignore it"
> >instinct?
>
> I dislike 'em, but survive if it is limited to the frontpage. Meaning:
> I desperately look for a sensible link in the visual mess of
> non-information.  I also get the idea that they probably don't really
> have anything to offer and hired an ad company with an incompetent web
> designer to do it who arrived at the design by buying a premade page
> from some other's company's catalogue, then replaced the photos and
> charged a fortune for it... OR worse: that they are using a PHP-based
> CMS. Then I start to feel sorry for them and put all my skepticism
> aside for the benefit of the doubt and hope that I at least find a
> sensible pdf-file in there somewhere.

I used to love pdfs in blissfully ignorance... until I recently looked
up the format. You wouldn't believe this, but did you know that it's
actually possible to embed a *video* in a pdf file? Embed another pdf
inside a pdf in a hierarchical substructure? Run arbitrary JS code from
a pdf? (Which, btw, is *not* the "official" JS, but Adobe's own
hackneyed version thereof.) If you were insane enough, I bet you could
implement an OS inside a pdf file. Or an FPS.

Content-less website splash pages seem pretty tame compared with
that(!), unfortunately.

Written on the window of a clothing store: No shirt, no shoes, no service.