Cool Stuff for D that we keep Secret

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 10 15:55:08 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:48:34PM +0000, via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 22:25:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
> >I used to love pdfs in blissfully ignorance... until I recently
> >looked up the format. You wouldn't believe this, but did you know
> >that it's actually possible to embed a *video* in a pdf file?
>
> I believe it, I've read the spec. It is a container format in spirit.

Most modern file formats are container formats in some form. Pdfs,
though, are just wayyyy over-engineered for what it's ostensibly used
for. It's like building a nuclear-powered intergalactic space cruiser
just to drive down the street to get groceries.

> >Content-less website splash pages seem pretty tame compared with
> >that(!), unfortunately.
>
> Ok, but my experience is that content-less websites often have a
> content-full pdf hidden somewhere. Meaning, they know how to use Word.
> :)

Me, I usually look for a page named "sitemap" or something to that
effect, which tends to have a far saner organization than the rest of
the site. :-) Sad to say, many sites don't even have that.

Food and laptops don't mix.