Using D

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 11 08:30:15 PDT 2014

I have followed the recent discussions about D and I can see the
usual pattern, to wit GC, Go (or whatever) is so much better,
everyone blaming each other for not contributing, not being
allowed to contribute blah.

First of all, I am in no position to criticize anyone who is
contributing to the language. I don't contribute, because I don't
have the time to do so. Indeed I have huge, massive respect for
everyone who contributes to D. The only thing I do is to actually
use the language and tell everyone about it. I have developed a
screen reader plug in in D (using C libraries) that was
ridiculously easy to integrate on Windows as a DLL. I used vibe.d
to create a lightning fast online version of the screen reader.
Believe me, D's supposed sluggishness as regards GC is not so
important for most applications. I dare say 90% of all
applications are fine with the current GC. I compiled both
applications with dmd (testing phase) not with ldc or gdc and
they are very fast.

Let's not forget that Go has millions and billions of dollars
behind it and that it is inevitable that the whole internet will
be full of zealots and professional posters who promote Go as
"theeee best thing ever". People. Sheep. Meehhh.

Apart from the necessary discussions about language features /
improvements we need to focus on the power of D. vibe.d is one
example. I think the problem is that we don't bundle the various
efforts that have been made independently well enough.
Contribution to D is narrowly defined as "contributing to the
library / core of the language". There has been mention of
integrating vibe.d's fibers into the library. Even if it won't
happen, we should set up an infrastructure that facilitates the
use of the various, as of now independent, components and point
users to it. I have to say that a lot of good things have escaped
me simply because nobody told me about them. It's often by
accident that I find out about a great library or framework in D.

Sometimes I have the feeling that we blow things out of
proportion, because we walk right into the trap. The GC thing,
although it is very important, is a good example. Let's not
forget that zeolots and professional posters will always point
out the flaws of D, and blow them out of proportion. "D doesn't
have xyz, so it's shit!" Divide et impera (divide and rule).

Let's first make a list of things that have been achieved with D
and that are on a par with or even bettar than in other languages
(C, C++, C#, Go, Rust ...). Then, let's bundle the efforts that
have been made independently. We will soon have a powerful and
impressive framework. And let's not forget, a language (be it a
natural or a computer language) only lives and thrives, if people
use it.

My 2 cents. At your service.