Using D

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 11 11:05:43 PDT 2014

On Friday, 11 July 2014 at 17:41:41 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> [...]
>> Mind you, D is a hindsight language, which makes it wiser.
>> Does it
>> have flaws? Yes. I come across them sometimes. Is there a
>> language
>> without flaws? If there is, tell me about it.
>
> When I was still using C/C++ for my personal projects, the
> problems I
> keep running into drove me to dream about what I'd like in an
> ideal
> language. I tried writing my own, but didn't get very far -- not
> everyone is a Walter Bright, after all. ;-) So I searched
> online instead
> -- and found that D is the one language that's closest to my
> idea of
> what an ideal language should be. There are some things about
> it that
> aren't quite up to my ideals, but there are also many other
> areas where
> it *exceeded* my ideals. So in spite of whatever warts or
> wrinkles D may
> have, it's still the best language out there IMO.

I went down a similar path. Always frustrated with existing
languages. Then I accidentally discovered D and I knew that was
it! It killed so many birds with one stone. Unicode,
C-interfaceable (if that's a word), native compilation to begin
with, then I discovered all the nice features and I've become a
better programmer simply by trying to understand D. It gives me
more freedom to put human thought into a computer, to model our
world in terms a computer can understand, and not the other way
around.

I still don't get why people who put up with other languages like
Java and C++, and patiently wait years for simple improvements,
say, when they see D, "it doesn't have xyz*, it's shit!" I just
don't get it.

*(usually GC or thread related)