Using D

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 12 05:54:14 PDT 2014

On 12 July 2014 11:27, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-07-11 at 16:54 +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>> I remember Java used to be "theeee" best thing ever. After years
>> of using it, however, I found out how restricted the language was
>> / is. Still, it's been a success, because people believed all the
>> propaganda. What matters to me is not so much the odd fancy
>> feature, it's how well the language performs in general purpose
>> programming. Go was designed for servers and thus will always
>> have one up on D or any other language at that matter. But could
>> I use Go for what I have used D? Not so sure about that. Also,
>> like Java Go is a closed thing. D isn't. Once I read about D that
>> it shows what can be done "once you take a language out of the
>> hands of a committee". Go, like Java, will finally end up in a
>> cul de sac and will have a hard time trying to get out of it. Not
>> because the language is inherently bad, because it's in the hand
>> of a committee. Ideology kills a language. But it doesn't matter,
>> because people will use Go or whatever anyway, will _have_ to use
>> it.
>
> People believed the FORTRAN propaganda, the COBOL propaganda, the Pascal
> propaganda. I think we ought to distinguish good marketing from hype.
> Java had good marketing, was in the right place at the right time, and
> had a huge amount of hype as well.
>
> If Go is better for server things than D then might as well stop trying
> to use D at all.
>
> Go was actually designed as a better C with CSP for concurrency and
> parallelism.

Or a better Oberon, I haven't quite decided which yet... :)

> If there were more D users in the London area than one in London and one
> in Brighton maybe we could start a London D User Group (LonDUG).
> SkillsMatter would host.

And I say Hello! from sunny Brighton.

I do believe there are a few people around the London area who either
have worked in, work in, or have a vested interest in D.  I'll give
Dejan a poke and find out some more numbers.

Regards
Iain.