Any interest in detailed GC traces

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 12 07:25:19 PDT 2014

On 12.07.2014 05:54, safety0ff wrote:
> I found this link on reddit:
> http://dave.cheney.net/2014/07/11/visualising-the-go-garbage-collector
> and I was wondering if there was interest in having D's GC output
> detailed trace information.
>
> I was thinking perhaps collecting data and then writing it as a json
> file when the process exits.
>
> Thoughts?

Being able to visualize GC behaviour can be very helpful in analyzing
what's going on during the execution of a program.

When developing the precise GC presented at last years conference, I
added a simple version of this by adding a hook that is called during
collections. It wrote some GC info to a file for plotting the memory
usage diagrams.