import from Internet

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 12 07:37:26 PDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-07-12 at 15:52 +0200, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> Except when:
>
> - one needs proper versions

Clearly just using DVCS repositories is a versioning problem, though the
Go system does not automatically update clones so you are in total
control of updating. Recognizing the problem of API versions versus
repository versions, Gustavo Niemeyer created the repository gopkg.in
with a full version naming system allowing people to version by API
number. Seems to work very well.

> - binary only dependencies.

Go is a source code oriented culture like Python.

> - not everyone uses git, mercurial

There is always Bazaar or Subversion. I think there might even be a
nascent Perforce capability.

> I still don't see Go moving into the enterprise until these issues are
> sorted out.

That boat has already sailed, Go is firmly established in many major
networking and Web organizations even without a formal versioning
system. They didn't bother waiting for perfection, they got on, did, and
coped.

I believe from anecdotal evidence just in and around London, Go is now
firmly established, shouldering out C completely, being used in areas
where otherwise a combination of C, C++ and Python might have been used.
Yet Python use has not really been affected.

> The approach taken by Dub is much better.

I think Dub is very analogous to Gustavo Niemeyer's gopkg.in.

I suggest that Dub needs to be able to build Fortran, C and C++ systems
(replacing or integrating the wonderful SCons) as well as D, with or
without bits of Fortran, C and C++, allowing C and C++ folk to slowly
introduce bits of D into their systems. I would use this, especially if
it could be used in Emacs, Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA. But maybe it
already has these facilities, I haven't been able to do any C++ or D
work for three or four months now.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk