What is the Go/NoGo gauge for releases?

Andrew Edwards via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 12 17:35:53 PDT 2014

Moved from D.announce for further discussion by request:

On Saturday, 12 July 2014 at 00:13:47 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> For convenience, the list of unresolved issues marked as
> regressions:
> https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?bug_severity=regression&resolution=---
>
> Seems like there is still quite a way to go until we can
> release RC1.
>
> David

David, I'm sure you are aware that list will never be empty. The
last release lasted from mid November to 24 February and that
list was never empty once during that entire time. The only way
we will empty that list is to prevent people from submitting new
regressions during a review.

When I checked the list yesterday the count was at 9: right now
it is at 12. And at least on of those items on the list has been
there since 2011.

The reality is that zero emphasis is place on regressions unless
it's time for a release, and even then, only a few people pay
attention to them. Everyone else just continue on in their happy
world doing "what's important to them".  You you cannot ask that
anyone work on anything because if it's not important in their
minds, they will not do it. They'd much rather sit around and
biker about how you did it incorrectly. Which, in my opinion, is
a huge wast of time and resource.

So I have some questions: What is the magic number that will
trigger the release? What happens if we never reach that number?
Do we just continue waiting for it or do we make a decision at
some point that it's time? If so, how long do we wait? Is there
one person who makes the decision, or is it decision automatic?
If there is a person, who is it?