What is the Go/NoGo gauge for releases?

Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 13 19:23:02 PDT 2014

On 7/13/14, 4:09 PM, Andrew Edwards via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 7/14/14, 7:11 AM, Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 7/12/14, 5:35 PM, Andrew Edwards via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>>> David, I'm sure you are aware that list will never be empty.
>>
>> Never?  Awfully defeatist.  There was a point where it was down to just
>> the one from 2011.  And we've had releases where the no new known
>> regressions policy has been true.  That rule should remain in effect.
>>

> Defeatist? Hmmmm... You can call me what you want. I'm neither offended nor does my point of view
> change because of it.

Please don't take what I said as intent to offend.  It's not.

>> You can't ask?  Bzzzt.  You can and most certainly should ask.  Change
>> of emphasis during a release process is appropriate and a little
>> reminder can help quite a bit.  Are there kibitzers that play arm chair
>> quarterback?  Of course, but that shouldn't stop us from doing what we
>> believe to be the right thing.  The woe is me attitude is ridiculous and
>> certainly not helpful.
>>

> I'd just like to draw your attention to your response to item (d) at:
>
>      http://forum.dlang.org/post/52D07805.9090502@gmail.com

My line in that thread:

   > ideally, but volunteers spend time where they wish.

That line and the above quote are not contradictory.  People are going to do as they wish, but some
of our all volunteer staff has actually _asked_ to be given direction.  And some will take it as a
nudge in the right direction regardless.