Random points from a D n00b CTO

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 13 21:14:57 PDT 2014

On 14/07/2014 3:55 p.m., Vic wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm a CTO at a start up and interested in porting our Java project to D.
> Some points, I have been lurking on D for years, went to my first D conf
> recently. Also I was one of top 20 people to join Java Struts, and that
> grew to 3million plus end users so I have some 'cred'. Hope this helps:
>
> - Confusing forum. First listed forum on 'D' is not for D users, but
> it's called D! It is in fact for D commiters. This causes frustration
> for both users and commiters. (yes there is 'learn D' but it's 4th down.
> Commiters forum should be slightly hidden and user questions should not
> be answered in commuters but politely asked to post in the proper forum.).

Maybe we can make it more prominent. Or at least add it to the front
page more obviously.

> - I was *very* disappointed that using base library locks you into GC vs
> ref. counting.
> Separate, I like how Objective C has NSObject for GC purpose(I'd love a
> framework that is just ref counting), but there should be dual libs and
> base should not be GC.

Lets wait for allocators and the like.

> - D is/has become complex. metaprograming, generics, macros, etc. This
> is a culture issue, very hard to fix cultural issues w/o losing most
> commiters. Just a fast system lang w/o headers, 'boost' and such. All
> this other stuff can be 3rd party eco system and should be pushed out
> from D proper into implementations and add ons.

Ehh meta programming, CTFE ext. is one of the most fundamental aspects
of D. I'm sure a lot of people would hate not having it. In fact its one
of the things that makes it actually desirable.

> - Dub rocks.
>
> - Very little 'user' outreach. Meetups such as 'learn D'  (set up editor
> w/ DUB, and write some vibe.d DNS client/server in 4 lessons). Or how to
> use a c .so lib.

I was considering something like this for ApplyYourDlang youtube
channel[0]. But more Lets learn how to use Cmsed to create a wiki! And
then I had to actually make the damn framework do the things they would
need. Maybe in a few months time I can get back to it.

But if anybody wants to make more videos other than me and Simen Endsjø,
let me know. I can add you to the channel.

> So hth. FYI I plan to hire 3+ 'D lang' programmers (users, not
> commuters) to rewrite the Java project in Dallas and/or San Jose (CA)
> over the next few months (Feel free to ping me @puppetMaster3, ideal
> candidate is 'prolific' and career programmer)

Definitely would be interested, if you wanted somebody who's currently
finishing a degree from New Zealand (perfect time next semester is
Industry project where I work with them). Assuming my current plan falls
through.

[0] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz3NlrGpjV9NlJAhKJLu_-w