Random points from a D n00b CTO

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 14 00:37:42 PDT 2014

On Monday, 14 July 2014 at 06:13:38 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> explored a high-end ARC implementation. It compared
> impressively with 'the fastest GC's' (or some description
> very close to that). D's GC  is certainly
> not among those in comparison, which suggested the paper's tech
> would probably be a win for D no matter how you look at it.

I think both ARC and fast GC in a C-like language requires a
dedicated pointer type, adjustments to semantics and whole
program analysis. The general unwillingness to clean up the
language and tighten the language semantics is going to keep D
frozen at the current performance level for managed allocations…

> problems... Nobody has ever addressed the low-available-memory
> argument
> I've put forward a number of times, which is the standard
> operating
> environment of most embedded computers.

It's true that neither GC or region based allocators are good for
tight memory allocation, but that extends to NSAutoReleasePool in
iOS also.