Random points from a D n00b CTO

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 14 01:45:18 PDT 2014

On 7/14/2014 12:55 PM, Vic wrote:

> - Confusing forum. First listed forum on 'D' is not for D users, but
> it's called D! It is in fact for D commiters. This causes frustration
> for both users and commiters. (yes there is 'learn D' but it's 4th down.
> Commiters forum should be slightly hidden and user questions should not
> be answered in commuters but politely asked to post in the proper forum.).

I don't think that's an accurate description. The d.D newsgroup (for
which the "forum" is a web interface) has *always* been where D users
discuss D. The design and implementation of the language has very much
been an effort with a great deal of community input, which is why so
many such discussions take place here. It's not, however, in any way
just a "committer's" forum.

The d.D.learn newsgroup was born some time back due to an increase in
the number of questions from new D users. Over time, I suppose it has
become the place to ask all questions about how to use language
features, whether from a noob or not. Although I've been around D 10
years, when I have such questions that's where I post them.

I'm not disagreeing that the "learn forum" should be the first one
visible on the page, but just wanted to say that d.D is very much for D
users.

---