Review: std.logger

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 14 04:07:05 PDT 2014

On Friday, 11 July 2014 at 14:36:34 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> Round of a formal review before proceeding to voting. Subject
> for Phobos inclusion : http://wiki.dlang.org/Review/std.logger

I guess this is possible with the proposal, but I'd like to see
structured logging in the runtime and in a way that is compatible
with existing services, so that all libraries use the same
logging infrastructure and such  a way that it can be redirected
easily without rewriting any logging calls.

E.g. when building a service on AppEngine you log to a buffer of
1+GB for all your servers implemented in various languages and
can do structured searching by type: (debug, info, warning,
error, critical), time:real representing seconds since epoch, and
message: string. However, since system level "debug" is higher
level than language level "debug" there should be several levels
below "debug" used in libraries and frameworks that is kept
in-memory only to avoid spamming the global application/system
level debug-logging.

Having a flexible language level logging mechanism is good, but
making sure it fits into existing logging-frameworks (that cannot
be modified) is more important and what it should be evaluated
against.