Review: std.logger

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 14 08:46:41 PDT 2014

On Monday, 14 July 2014 at 11:35:16 UTC, Robert burner Schadek
via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> ? could you rephrase, I can not grasp your point (points)

The point is that the most crucial aspect of logging is being
able to filter or put triggers on the logs in pre-existing
external logging-solutions without having to modify the
frameworks you use. Therefore a standardized structure that fits
common patterns in online services would be beneficial.

E.g.:

If I use vibe.d on AppEngine then I want to redirect the vibe.d
logging to the AppEngine logging-service without requiring vibe.d
authors to know AppEngine or me to change vibe.d.

I'd like to plug in a "logging redirection handler" in the D
runtime with the ability to filter/translate the logging severity
level (at least corresponding to the severity levels:
library/internal, debug, info, warning, error, critical) and the
source.

So in the logging-handler you need to the following information:
1. source (e.g. vibe.d)
2. severity level
3. message (just a string)
4. time (but that can be inferred by the logging handler)

Not particularly complicated, I think, but the logging
functionality should match up to the requirements (for ease of
use, ability to scale etc)