D blog?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 14 11:41:52 PDT 2014

I've been thinking about setting one up: any interest in having
an official blog or anybody contributing?  It'd have to be a
group effort, with various people writing or being interviewed.
Here's my earlier forum post that motivated the idea:

Yeah, D definitely needs better marketing.  One of the reasons
rails took off a decade ago is a conference video Hansson put out
showing how easy it was to setup and build a small webapp with
rails (probably this one or an earlier version?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzj723LkRJY).  Nothing too
technical, just showing off ease of use as a feature.  D needs
such stuff, whether written or videos.

Take, for example, the article Walter wrote about component
programming using UFCS, maybe the best article related to D:

http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/component-programming-in-d/240008321

If Hansson or some other marketer were writing about the same
topic, it'd be all whiz-bang chained one-liners with little
technical motivation of the underlying language features.  I
prefer what Walter wrote, but many would prefer the latter, at
least when first hearing about D.  D needs both.

One line of thought that's been evolving for me lately is that D
needs a blog, where we can highlight good stuff about the
language.  Go has one:

http://blog.golang.org/

This post should go on D's:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.3738.1405098936.2907.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com

I could see H.S. Teoh writing a series of such posts, expanding
on each of the bullet points.  Right now, he'll throw something
off on the forum and it'll get buried by all the posts on here,
missed by most users.  A blog is where such material could be
highlighted.

We even have a D blog engine built on vibe.d that we could put to
use:

https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/vibelog

I'd be happy to administer such a blog, if it's a matter of
someone volunteering.