File extension of c++ files used on d compiler sources

Domingo Alvarez Duarte via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 14 16:14:51 PDT 2014

Hello !

I'm starting to look at the d compiler sources and I'm using
netbeans to navigate through the sources, netbeans is very good
at showing warnings/errors with it's own internal parser, but
because all the c++ source files use ".c" as file extension they
are interpreted as "C" files and shows a lot of errors parsing
then as "C" files.

It could be a silly question but here it is:

Why the c++ source files do not use file extensions that proper
identifies then as c++ like ".cpp", ".C", ".cxx" ?

This prevent/difficult some task automations by third party tools
like I'm experimenting now with netbeans.

It's fine that D is innovating in the programming language field
but not all conventions are bad ones.

Cheers !