LinkedIn Article to be: Why you need to start moving off C/C++ to D, now.

John Carter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 14 17:21:27 PDT 2014

On Monday, 14 July 2014 at 23:43:57 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Before we start selling D on embedded devices, how sure are we
> that D is
> ready to take on the task? I.e., how well does it handle
> low-memory
> devices? ARM architectures? We better have (very good) answers
> for
> these, otherwise we risk destroying D's cause by defending it
> poorly.

Good point, that's why I said "Start moving".

These issues never just "Solve Themselves".

Somebody somewhere must start moving, start derisking, preparing
the toolchain.

Even a simple thing like moving from one version of gcc to
another has non-zero risk, and some warm body has to do the work
to get it ready for that particular project / target CPU / target
OS / board / host CPU / host OS...

Yup, I've been that guy.

However, if nobody moves you don't get there. You sit on an ever
crustier version of the compiler while your competitors stream
past you.

It's a call to arms to guys like me, the guys who line up the
toolchain, build the cross compilers for roll out to the rest of
the devs, to start moving.

Part of what I want to say in that article is outline what needs
to be done to get us from "Here" to "There".