Random points from a D n00b CTO

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 15 07:45:14 PDT 2014

On 7/14/2014 10:09 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> Google aren't really in the high-end gamedev business. I'm sure I could
> make Angry Birds run without dropping frames with a GC that took no more
> than 6ms... a real game, not so simple.

Just nitpicking on terminology here, but a lot of the
high-end-performance ones aren't "real games" so much as movies
sprinkled with some semi-interactive stuff. Basically spiritual
extensions of Dragon's Lair. Angry Birds is far more of a "real"
videogame than, say, Assassin's Creed or The Last of Us, as the focus is
on gameplay rather than story telling and cinematography.

But I understand your point. It would have been much harder for "The
Last Of Us" to be as graphically competitive with a GC.

> I'm particularly worried about libraries. I can do whatever I have to with
> memory that I control.
> You can't approach a modern ambitious project without depending on probably
> 10s of libraries.

I would have thought that for the currently-C/C++ high-end projects
you're talking about, that most of those libraries are ones specifically
designed for high-performance games in the first place (ex: Havok,
anything from "RAD Game Tools", etc). Or at least with high-performance
real-time in mind (ex: fmod). Is that not entirely so?