DIP62: Volatile type qualifier for unoptimizable variables in embedded programming

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 16 00:16:35 PDT 2014

On 7/15/2014 11:23 PM, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> GDC doesn't support it as compiler intrinsics.

I know.

> Also, isn't inp/outp all x86-specific?

Yes. This is not an argument that x86 compilers shouldn't support them. After
all, D is supposed to be a systems programming language.

> I've never come across a similar thing in other architectures (at
> least, of the same name)

I have. Special I/O ports and associated special instructions used to be
commonplace in microprocessors.

Remember, D is supposed to be a systems programming language, not a language
restricted to the least common denominator of every CPU now and in the future.
One needs access to the system parts of the CPU.