Using D

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 16 10:18:10 PDT 2014

Am 16.07.2014 17:39, schrieb Vic:
> On Monday, 14 July 2014 at 10:13:43 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Saturday, 12 July 2014 at 10:27:12 UTC, Russel Winder via
>
> <snip>
>

>> I think we need to address these issues, because they are of a
>> psychological nature and not really language issues. I'm sure that if
>> we fixed GC and had the best implementation ever, people would find
>> something else to complain about "D doesn't have blah, I don't like it!"
>>

> <snip>
>
> I'm sort of getting the idea that D goal would to be a better Java.
>
> I'm running away from Java (after 10 years). I hope that someone at D
> has power and can say NO to a feature the way Linus does as opposed to
> adding more 'JCP' features, pushing such stuff downstream. Adding more
> features to be good at everything, aka a submarine that is a law mover.
> It's all done w/ best intentions. But forcing GC into base library of a
> system programing language? Maybe D is not a system programing language,
> but a enterprise app productivity lang. At least give us a choice, to
> use D why do I have to re-write the base lib.
>
> Cheers, Vic

Yes, it has been done many times before.

Starting at Xerox PARC, those beautiful systems were many ideas of the
modern web were pioneered.

Interlisp-D, Smalltalk and Mesa/Cedar, all had a mix of RC/GC.

Olivetti was playing around with Modula-3 with the SPIN OS, before
Digital closed their R&D unit.

Niklaus Wirth and his colleagues created Oberon at the Swiss Federal
Institute of Technology, which was an workable desktop OS used by a few
at the informatics department and OS research topics, specially version
System 3 with its gadgest toolkit. This spunned quite a few derivatives
namely EthOS and AOS. Active Oberon on AOS already offered a concurrent
compiler before that was a theme.

Microsoft created Singularity with Sing#. Although the project was
cancelled, many of its outcomes live on WP8 native compiler and on the
upcoming .NET Native.

Apple is stating that Swift is a C replacement ("Swift is a successor to
the C and Objective-C languages." - https://developer.apple.com/swift/).

We just need a successful mainstream OS vendor to push a RC/GC enabled
systems language to anyone targeting their OS, to finally break the
stigma that GC enabled systems programming languages don't leave the
research lab.

--
Paulo