DIP62: Volatile type qualifier for unoptimizable variables in embedded programming

Artur Skawina via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 16 13:35:30 PDT 2014

On 07/16/14 22:09, Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Well I guess this is already decided anyway.

Well, peek/poke is not the right solution either...

> I think it's kinda ridiculous that D embedded code will only be usable
> with strong optimization flags, but whatever. Maybe it works better

Why would it be unusable without "strong optimization flags"? At -O0 the
generated code will be so slow and bloated that it will be unusable in
a constrained embedded environment. Yes, the implicitly generated asserts
are a problem - but _this is not a problem specific to volatile_. Ditto
for RTTI, unwinding tables, dead code etc. Those issues needs to be dealt
with anyway.

artur