GCs in the news

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 17 04:15:09 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 09:57:09 UTC, currysoup wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 09:26:38 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 09:20:36 UTC, Russel Winder via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> It appears still to be a general meme that performance
>>> required no GC
>>> and GC mean poor performance. The debate has been restarted
>>> on the Go
>>> mailing list under the banner "go without garbage collector".
>>> The
>>> response to will Go remove the garbage collector was somewhat
>>> unequivocal: nope.
>>
>> That's good news in a way. If a big company accepts GC and the
>> Go crowd go with it (pardon the pun), then it will find more
>> acceptance (as Paulo pointed out in a different thread).
>
> It's not about "acceptance", it's about the reality that a GC
> is not a universal solution to memory management.

Point taken. But as has been said before 90-95% of all apps can
live happily with GC, and if you want, you can still go bare
metal with D. The security GC offers should not be underestimated
either. With "acceptance" I meant that people see "it cannot be
that bad after all for *most* applications". The GC issue is
often cited as a D-eal breaker. I understand that there are
applications that need total control over the memory. But those
apps have always been programmed in C or any other
close-to-the-machine language, and even then programmers (in
gaming for example) have to use additional tricks and hacks to
squeeze out every little bit of performance. What D has to do is
to facilitate control over the memory, but I still consider it a
systems programming language due to the fact that it has many
things to offer as regard the direct interaction with the machine
that Java and C# don't. Can you write a device drive in Java, if
yes, tell me how, I'm interested.

> Just from watching a few of the DConf 2014 talks, if you want
> performance you avoid the GC at all costs (even if that means
> allocating into huge predefined buffers). Once you're going to
> these lengths to avoid garbage collection it begs the question,
> why are you even using this language? Within this community the
> question is rhetorical but to outsiders I feel it's a major
> concern.

Don't know if it's really a "major concern" or the favorite weak
spot that C++ et. al guys like to flog to death in order to
distract from the many strengths that D has (in comparison with
C++ et al.) The answer is always "D has GC, it's the Devil, don't
touch it!" Also, let's put a little faith in the brilliant
developers behind D, I'm sure there's a huge performance boost
for D around the corner.