GCs in the news

Brian Rogoff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 17 07:05:00 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 13:29:18 UTC, John wrote:
> If D came without GC, it would have replaced C++ a long time
> ago!

That's overly optimistic I think, but I believe that the adoption
rate would have been far greater for a D without GC, or perhaps
with a more GC friendly design, as the GC comes up first or close
in every D discussion with prospective adopters.

However, it's way too late to change that now. IMO, the way
forward involves removing all or most hidden allocations from the
D libraries, making programming sans GC easier (@nogc everywhere,
a compiler switch, documentation for how to work around the lack
of GC, etc.) and a much better, precise GC as part of the D
release. Any spec changes necessary to support precision should
be in a fast path.