GCs in the news

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 17 08:19:58 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 13:29:18 UTC, John wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 09:57:09 UTC, currysoup wrote:
>> It's not about "acceptance", it's about the reality that a GC
>> is not a universal solution to memory management.
>>
>> Just from watching a few of the DConf 2014 talks, if you want
>> performance you avoid the GC at all costs (even if that means
>> allocating into huge predefined buffers). Once you're going to
>> these lengths to avoid garbage collection it begs the
>> question, why are you even using this language? Within this
>> community the question is rhetorical but to outsiders I feel
>> it's a major concern.
>

> If D came without GC, it would have replaced C++ a long time
> ago!

The only thing that would have been replaced is the complaints
that D has a garbage collector with complaints that D doesn't
have the tools and existing libraries of C++. If C++ users were
sincere in their claims that they really want to use D, they'd
have disabled the garbage collector and used it.

I think the GC issue is eating resources that would be better
spent elsewhere.