GCs in the news

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 17 11:07:01 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 17:28:02 UTC, Vic wrote:
> If that is true, I may even do a $ bounty to make Phobos GC
> free.

Unless you do some hard real-time barebone stuff it is quite
likely you can do with limited usage of GC. Hiring some of
experienced D user to make a one-time case study with detailed
recommendation can be an option if you are seriously concerned.

> I may do the same, $ bounty on vibe.d port to GC free.

vibe.d has -version=VibedManualMemoryManagement which removes
much of GC usage from its internals. Not 100% @nogc but some
entry point to start with for interested parties.

> I don't know D enough to be able to do that, but good news to
> me.

Here Don mentions some of techniques we (Sociomantic) use to
minimize GC impact : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmE7ZR1_YKs

In the end it comes to famous Bjarne quote : "C++ may be the best
language for garbage collection because it generates so few
garbage". Same can be applied to D with proper coding style.