Why are the nogc crowed labeled as alarmists?!?!

Frustrated via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 17 11:13:17 PDT 2014

Are those that say the GC is fine and works for 90-95% of apps
without issue just ignorant? Or are they arrogant?

When one is writing a real time app and have the absolute lowest
chance of losing control, a STW GC is simply not allowed in this
apps.

This is the argument for the GC: So, you write a surveillance app
that captures a frame every second. The GC kicks in once an hour
and pauses the app for half a second. Thats great! No big deal.
1/2 a second in a an hour is just 1/120th of the time... less
than l% of the app's run time is used by the GC. AMAZING!!! No
one will notice!

Of course, are they just too stupid? Or they simply don't care
about any applications other than they are writing? Seriously,
which is it?

Take an audio app that is used to record a band. Same scenario.
Ok, right? GC isn't a problem! No one will notice the glitches!

What about a first person online FPS written in D? Ok too!! Who
will care when the game lags at that critical moment when you are
in the heat of battle. So unlikely that the GC will cause any
problems.

So, this is the way I see it:

There are some real arrogant people out there. They do not write
critical real time apps. They write program stuff like
"writeln('I'm a fu$%ing cool programmer!! Look how awesome I
am')". They never see the GC cause any issues so it MUST not
cause issues(which is were the ignorance comes in).

They don't want anything changed because it works for them and
they are afraid it will require more work.

Anyways, not that this rant will do any good but I'm getting sick
and tired of the pathetic argument that since the GC is fine for
MOST people [it is fine for ALL people].

D has to decide what it wants to be able to do. If it wants to be
held back by a GC simple because it's too much work to get it
done right(ARC, MMM, or whatever) then so be it. But at least
decide on something absolute and let it be known so the lemmings
stop using this ridiculous logic that the "GC is great, no one
needs anything better [because I'm great and I use the GC and it
works just fine]".

Of course.. if all your programs are under 640kB then just maybe
that GC never kicks in in the first place?!?!