DIP65: Fixing Exception Handling Syntax

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 17 15:01:01 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 21:51:54 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Walter Bright:
>
>> We need to STOP breaking existing code.
>
> This is a small example case where I suggest to break
> hypothetical existing code:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2077#issuecomment-49360265
>
> The fear of breaking code should NOT freeze our brains in
> terror. For each sigh of broken code could exist one thousand
> sighs caused by broken designs that will keep causing troubles
> forever.

Your proposal there is much much worse than one to deprecate
`catch()` - it may result in silent change of behavior while this
DIP results in reliable transition process via compile-time error.

In my opinion this is exactly the borderline between "can't break
at all" and "can do if change is reasonable" - having 100%
reliable and simple migration process.

If only we had more casual major releases..