D logo copyright

Alix Pexton via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 18 00:43:44 PDT 2014

On a whim I did a bit of research into the copyright of derivative
works, and to my surprise they are actually covered by an international
treaty.

This may allow for the creation of a new graphic that is a derivative
work of the current one but has a copyright held by Digital Mars.

There is no requirement for this new graphic to be used on dlang.org,
but it would be possible to use and register it as a trademark and for
images derived from it to be incorporated into other logos and
emblazoned upon merchandise.

The only problem is that work required to produce the derivative must be
non trivial and the changes copyrightable on their own (like drawing a
moustache and goatee on the Mona Lisa (LHOOQ)).

I've produced dozens of derivative designs, but I'm not sure any of them
meet this requirement. I think it is something to consider if the
original designer remains un-contactable.

A...