D logo copyright

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 18 08:03:43 PDT 2014

On Friday, 18 July 2014 at 07:43:32 UTC, Alix Pexton wrote:
> On a whim I did a bit of research into the copyright of
> derivative works, and to my surprise they are actually covered
> by an international treaty.

WIPO has treaties, but they only affect local law on the
least-common-denominator principle. Countries are allowed to
offer better copyright protection than the treaty imposes.

> This may allow for the creation of a new graphic that is a
> derivative work of the current one but has a copyright held by
> Digital Mars.

No. The copyright will be held by BOTH the original author and
the author of the derivative work, it is joint ownership and you
need the permission of two authors instead of one.