[OT] Uploading DConf videos

ponce via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 18 09:32:49 PDT 2014

On Friday, 18 July 2014 at 15:44:21 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 7/17/14, 11:53 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 18/07/14 03:55, Israel Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>>> This man has it right. I dont think quality is a huge issue
>>> though
>>> unless youre watching something that needs to be sensitive to
>>> the eye in
>>> which case youtube will work just fine for these videos.
>>
>> Youtube supports resolutions of 4k, I don't see the problem
>> with quality.
>
> Somehow the same DConf videos are of better quality on
> archive.org than on youtube.com. Could you explain that? --
> Andrei

archive.org serves the same file you uploaded to Youtube, without
change.

Youtube always re-encodes the video, for various reasons:
- sources are very heterogeneous
- multiple formats needed for various devices, various
resolutions, and bandwidth adaptation
- insanely low bitrates (3000kbps for 1080p H.264 is scarce, yet
it's not so bad with the encode Youtube does)

So while Youtube quality might be worse, the used bitrates are
probably not the same. My opinion is that it's best to let
Youtube serve the content for maximum reach.