LinkedIn Article to be: Why you need to start moving off C/C++ to D, now.

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 18 10:54:13 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 19:58:32 UTC, Tobias Müller wrote:
> "Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:
>> Personally, I don't believe anyone is able to reason properly
>> about
>> manual memory management, unless they wrote 100% of their
>> code, and don't
>> work in more than one codebase.
>
> IMO manual memory management is quite easy. In 99% of all cases
> ownership
> is clear to trivial.
>
> But maybe this is just because I usually write C++ and
> ownership is crucial
> in C++. Maybe it's more difficult if your accustomed to a GC.
>
> Tobi

When I started coding BASIC and Z80 were at the rage at home
computers, so even though I favour RC/GC over manual memory
management, I do have lots of experience with manual memory
management.

Specially in enterprise teams with high attrition having more
than 30 developers, where no one can really tell who owns what.
And to top that, in one project we even had funny macros
converting between handles and pointers, our own MMU, so to speak.

So I have my doubts when many developers work in the same code
base that ownership is trivial.

--
Paulo